Table of Contents Hide
Technology is an ever-growing part of our lives, and with that comes an ever-growing body of knowledge. Here are some mind-blowing facts related to technology that you may not have known. 1. The world’s first computer was built by Charles Babbage in the early 1800s. 2. In 1977, IBM’s Deep Blue machine beat Gary Kasparov, the world champion chess player, by a score of 3½ to 2½. 3. In 2013, Twitter made its first profit and had over 300 million active users. 4. Apple’s first product was the Apple 1 computer – also known as the “White Box” – which was released on April 1, 1976. 5. The term “computer virus” was first used in November 1978 when Dennis Ritchie and Kevin Reynolds published a paper called “Computer Virus: Theory and Practice” in Communications of the ACM.
Technology has revolutionized so many aspects of our lives, from communication to entertainment. Here are five mind-blowing facts about technology that you may not have known.
The History of Technology
The history of technology is full of mind-blowing facts that date back thousands of years. Here are five of the most impressive:
- The first computers were built in the 1940s.
- The first digital computer was built in 1943 by John Atanasoff and Clifford Berry.
- The first handheld calculator was made in 1972 by Dr. Charles Huggins.
- In 1978, IBM developed the world’s first commercially available personal computer, which became known as the IBM PC.
- Apple Inc.’s iPod attained market dominance in 2007 with its introduction of the iTunes Store and iPod Nano.
The Impact of Technology on Society
Technology has had a profound impact on society, making life easier and more comfortable for many. Here are some mind-blowing facts related to technology:
- The first computer was built in 1794 by Charles Babbage.
- Google became operational in 1998.
- Facebook was founded in 2004.
- Twitter was launched in 2006.
- Amazon was founded in 1994.
- iPhone was released in 2007.
- Smartphones were first introduced in 2007.
- YouTube became operational in 2005.
How Technology is Changing the World
Technology is constantly changing the world, and it’s having a massive impact on all aspects of our lives. Here are some mind-blowing facts related to technology:
- The average person spends over two hours a day using electronic devices.
- The global market for mobile apps was worth $24 billion in 2016.
- There were over 2 billion active users of social media platforms as of September 2017.
- A human brain can process information at around 20 000 bits per second, which is about the speed of data streaming from your computer to your screen.
- Elon Musk estimates that artificial intelligence could potentially achieve human levels of intelligence within 50 years – meaning that by the end of the century, we may see machines capable of understanding and answering complex questions like humans do now!
- In 1992, a computer scientist named Bill Joy wrote an article called “The Computer Revolution Has Begun” in which he predicted that computers would soon be able to exceed the abilities of human intelligence. Joy’s article helped to spur on the development of the internet, and it’s now widely seen as one of the most important documents in the history of technology!
- The smartphone was first invented by Alexander Graham Bell in 1876, but it wasn’t until 1983 that IBM released the first commercially available personal computer with a touchscreen interface – meaning that smartphones are actually a fairly recent invention!
- It was only in 2007 that Google became the first company to make a search engine that could understand natural language – meaning that today’s search engines are able to interpret and respond to queries in a way that humans can easily understand.
- In 1991, Microsoft released Windows 3.1 – the first version of their Windows operating system which featured support for graphics and sound cards, as well as mouse input.
- Apple Inc. was founded in 1976 by Steve Jobs, who is widely recognised as one of the most influential people in the history of technology. In addition to founding Apple, Jobs also served as CEO
The Future of Technology
- One of the earliest examples of technology is the use of stone tools by early humans.
2. Ancient Egyptians are believed to have invented paper sometime in the third century BC.
3. China is credited with developing the first movable type printing press in the 10th century AD.
4. The first computer was built by Charles Babbage in 1822, but it did not work correctly and was never completed.
5. The first digital computer was developed in 1944 by John Atanasoff and Clifford Berryhill at Iowa State University.
6. The Internet began as a project at UCLA in 1969, and it became fully operational in 1983.
7. In 1992, Tim Berners-Lee created the World Wide Web when he published a paper on the topic online.
8. Google was founded in 1998 by Larry Page and Sergey Brin, and its initial purpose was to create a search engine for webpages.
9. Apple Inc., also founded in 1998, is one of the world’s largest providers of consumer electronics, with products including iPhones and iPads..
- Robotics technology has advanced significantly in the past few decades, with industrial robots now commonplace in many factories.
Technology has revolutionized the way we live and work, and there are still plenty of amazing developments on the horizon. In this article, we’ve shared some mind-blowing facts about technology that will show you just how far we’ve come in such a short time. From smartphones to virtual reality, from artificial intelligence to blockchain technology, the future is full of possibilities and surprises – so stay tuned!